DON'T DREDGE THE BAY!
The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is planning to dredge a channel in the Bay from San Francisco to Stockton in partnership with the Port of Stockton, Contra Costa County, and the Western States Petroleum Association.
Why This Matters
The channel will allow oil tankers to transport more tar sands crude oil to and from local refineries. It will increase the risk of toxic oil spills which harms marine life. The increase in oil production will further pollute communities near refineries in Richmond, Rodeo, and Benicia, which are already severely affected by health problems.
What Can You Do To Get Involved?
- Sign a petition to urge our California politicians to prevent this project.
- Write your own comments and email them to the Army Corps at SFBaytoStockton@usace.army.mil
- Speak out at a public meeting:
- What: Public meeting held by U.S. Army Corps of Engineers San Francisco District to discuss the dredging plan
- Where: Pinole Library (2935 Pinole Valley Rd, Pinole, CA 94585)
- When: November 13, 6-8 pm
- Sign up here to get involved in this campaign.
- Learn more: http://www.sunflower-alliance.org/what-is-the-army-corps-of-engineers-dredging-up/